PhD Student1712 Claflin Rd
4703 Throckmorton Ctr.
Kansas State University
Manhattan, KS 66506
Graduate Advisor: Dr. Chris Little
B.Sc. Agriculture, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka (2008)
M.Sc. Molecular and Applied Microbiology, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka (2010)
Stalk rots are high priority fungal diseases of sorghum. They are highly prevalent and destructive. Although host resistance has been deployed, inability to achieve a complete control of the disease has been partly attributed to the polygenic nature of resistance and poor understanding of the molecular basis of resistance. Our primary research focus is to understand the mechanisms of disease resistance using transcriptomics and proteomics approaches. We are also interested in developing highthroughput protocols to screen sorghum germplasms against stalk rot diseases.
- Lecturer, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka (2010-present)
- Member, American Phytopathological Society (2012-present)
- Member, American Society of Agronomy and Crop Science Society of America (2013-present)
- Participant, Fusarium Workshop Kansas State University (2013)
- Y.M.A.Y. Bandara., D.K. Weerasooriya., T.T. Tesso., P.V.V. Prasad., and C.R. Little (2017). Stalk rot fungi affect grain sorghum yield components in an inoculation stage-specific manner. Crop protection. 94: 97-105.
- Y.M.A.Y. Bandara., D.k. Weerasooriya., T.T. Tesso, and C.R. Little (2017). Impacts of stalk rot diseases on sweet sorghum biofuel traits. BioEnergy research. 10(1): 26-35.
- Dilooshi K. Weerasooriya., Frank R. Maulana., Ananda Y. Bandara., Alemu Tirfessa., Amsalu Ayana., Girma Mengistu., Kindie Noah., and Tesfaye T. Tesso (2016). Genetic diversity and population structure among sorghum (Sorghum bicolor, L.) germplasm collections from Western Ethiopia. African Journal of Biotechnology. 15(23): 1147-1158.
- Y.M.A.Y. Bandara., D.K. Weerasooriya., T.T. Tesso., and C.R. Little (2016). Stalk rot fungi affect leaf greenness (SPAD) of grain sorghum in a genotype- and growth stage-specific manner. Plant Disease. 100: 2062-2068.
- Y.M.A.Y. Bandara., Ramasamy Perumal., and Christopher R. Little (2015). Integrating resistance and tolerance for improved evaluation of sorghum lines against Fusarium stalk rot and charcoal rot. Phytoparasitica. 43: 485–499.
- Bandara, J.R.M.S., Wijewardena, H.V.P., Bandara, Y.M.A.Y., Jayasooriya, R.G.P.T., and Rajapaksha, H. (2011). Pollution of River Mahaweli and farmlands under irrigation by cadmium from agricultural inputs leading to a chronic renal failure epidemic among farmers in NCP, Sri Lanka. Environmental Geochemistry and Health. 33: 439-453.
- Bandara, Y.M.A.Y., Weerasooriya, W.W.R.W.M.D.K., and Wickramasinghe, H.A.M. (2009). DNA fingerprinting and phylogenetic study of some indica rice varieties using SSR markers. International Journal of Biological and Chemical Sciences. 3 (1): 1-6.