Dr. Doug Jardine
Biography & Education
Dr. Doug Jardine was raised on a commercial vegetable farm in southeast Michigan. He obtained a B.S. and M.S. degree in Horticulture and a Ph.D. degree in Plant Pathology, all from Michigan State University. Between his M.S. and Ph.D. degrees, he worked for nearly five years as a county Extension agent for the Michigan Extension Service. Immediately following graduation in 1985, he joined the faculty of the Department of Plant Pathology at Kansas State University as an assistant professor and an Extension Specialist for row crop pathology. His appointment is 90% Extension and 10% research.
- Ph.D. Plant Pathology, Michigan State University, 1985
- M.S. Horticulture, Post Harvest Physiology, Michigan State University, 1977
- B.S. Horticulture, Michigan State University, 1976
Extension/research, field row crops; state leader for plant pathology, state IPM Coordinator. His primary crop responsibilities are soybeans, corn, grain sorghum and sunflowers. He specializes in diagnosis and management of row crop diseases.
Sweeney, D.W., D. Ruiz-Diaz, and D.J. Jardine. 2018. Nitrogen management and uptake by corn on no-till and ridge-till claypan soil. Agrosyst. Geosci. Environ. 1:180034 (2018) doi:10.2134/age2018.09.0034. Contribution no. 19-035-J, Kansas Agric. Exp. Stn. Research
Allen, T., Bradley, C.A., Sisson, A.J., Byamukama, E., Coker, C.M., Collins, A.A., Damicone, J.P., Dorrance, A.E., Dufault, N.S., Esker, P.D., Faske, T.R., Giesler, L.J., Grybauskas, A.P., Hershman, D.E., Hollier, C.A., Isakiet, T., Jardine, D.J., Kelly, H.M., Kemerait, R.C., Kleczewski, N.M., Koenning, S.R., Kurle, J.E., Malvick, D.K., Markell, S.G., Mehl, H.L., Mueller, D.S., Mueller, J.D., Mulrooney, R.P., Nelson, B.D., Newman, M.A., Osborne, L., Overstreet, C., Padgett, G.B., Phipps, P.M., Price, P.P., Sikora, E.J., Smith, D.L., Spurlock, T.N., Tande, C.A., Tenuta, A.U., Wise, K.A., and J.A. Wrather. 2017. Soybean Yield Loss Estimates Due to Diseases in the United States and Ontario, Canada from 2010 to 2014. Plant Health Progress 2017, 18:19-27. http://dx.doi.org/10.1094/PHP-RS-16-0066.Irizarry, M. D., Groves, C. L., Elmore, M. G., Bradley, C. A., Dasgupta, R., German, T. L., Jardine, D. J., Saalau Rojas, E., Smith, D. L., Tenuta, A. U., Whitham, S. A., and Mueller, D. S. 2016. Re-emergence of Tobacco streak virus infecting soybean in the United States and Canada. Plant Health Prog. 17:92-94.
- E. J. Sikora, T. W. Allen, K. A. Wise, G. Bergstrom, C. A. Bradley, J. Bond, D. Brown-Rytlewski, M. Chilvers, J. Damicone, E. DeWolf, A. Dorrance, N. Dufault, P. Esker, T. R. Faske, L. Giesler, N. Goldberg, J. Golod, I. R. G. Gómez, C. Grau, A. Grybauskas, G. Franc, R. Hammerschmidt, G. L. Hartman, R. A. Henn, D. Hershman, C. Hollier, T. Isakeit, S. Isard, B. Jacobsen, D. Jardine, R. Kemerait, S. Koenning, M. Langham, D. Malvick, S. Markell, J. J. Marois, S. Monfort, D. Mueller, J. Mueller, R. Mulrooney, M. Newman, L. Osborne, G. B. Padgett, B. E. Ruden, J. Rupe, R. Schneider, H. Schwartz, G. Shaner, S. Singh, E. Stromberg, L. Sweets, A. Tenuta, S. Vaiciunas, X. B. Yang, H. Young-Kelly, and J. Zidek. 2014. A coordinated effort to manage soybean rust in North America: A success story in soybean disease monitoring. Plant Dis. 98:864-875.
- Sweeney, D.W., J.L. Moyer, D.J. Jardine, D.A. Whitney. 2011. Nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium effects on grain sorghum production and stalk rot following alfalfa and birdsfoot trefoil. J. Plant Nutrition 34(9):1330-1340doi: 10.1080/01904167.2011.580819
- Bockus, W.W., De Wolf, E.D., Gill, B.S., Jardine, D.J., Stack, J.P., Bowden, R.L., Fritz, A.K., and Martin, T.J. 2011. Historical durability of resistance to wheat diseases in Kansas. Plant Healthy Progress. Doi:10.1094/PHP-2011-0802-01-RV
His research has centered on seedling disease management through the use of seed treatment fungicides and he has participated in several soybean cyst nematode projects.